Thursday, April 4, 2019

RAGI AMBLI (Finger Millet Malt)

Ragi(Finger millet) Ambli is a special healthy and tangy summer drink made in the South Indian state, Karnataka☺ The core of this yummy drink is Ragi flour and buttermilk/curd. Enjoying this drink is like a daily ritual during summer afternoons in mostly all Kannadiga homes. Have so many fond childhood memories with ragi ambli.. Those summers.. school vacations.. my mom.. Gosh! How I miss those days With all the nostalgia, just felt I have to channel this emotion and this is the right time start my Recipes blog which has been on my mind since some time now... and no better recipe to start it with other than Ragi Ambli, which binds me to my mom whom I love too much.. and my childhood which I cherish too much 

So here it goes...

Okay before we begin, we all know the amazing nutritional benefits and the cooling effect of Ragi.Though Ragi Ambli is considered to be best for the summers..i love to have it all through the year.. All we have to do is just make little changes with the ingredients we add depending on the season we are in☔❄

RAGI AMBLI

Ingredients:
3 tbsp Ragi flour
1 big cup curd/ 2 big cups buttermilk
1.5 lts water
Black salt/rock salt
Roasted cumin(jeera) powder

Procedure:
1) Mix Ragi flour and Curd/buttermilk in a big vessel. Make sure there are no lumps and contents are mixed up well. Now this mixture should be very thin, almost like water consistency. So adjust the water accordingly
2) Let this mixture set for 6-7 hours.
3) After 6-7 hours, heat around 1 ltr of water. Once the water begins to boil, start adding the ragi mixture stirring continuously. Let it boil now. Continuous stirring throughout is much required at this point..otherwise lumps will start getting formed which might just kill your enthusiasm..so watch out
4) As it is boiling, keep a watch at the consistency too. Keep it very thin because as we boil and cool it later, it starts thickening. So keep adjusting the consistency by adding water if required
5) Add salt and cumin powder and allow it to keep boiling on low flame with continuous stirring till the color of the mixture changes to dark pink. This roughly takes around 12-15 mins
6) Allow it to cool and enjoy fresh Ragi Ambli

Note: if you feel that the consistency of Ambli is too thick while consuming, you can dilute it a little using buttermilk or water depending on how tangy you like it It can be stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.

For the summers:
You can add finely chopped raw onion and chopped coriander, some chopped mint leaves(pudina) just before drinking it and enjoy the enhanced flavour

For Monsoons/Winters☔❄:
You can add finely chopped garlic and grated ginger. Add it the step when you start boiling the water initially. This tastes amazing too

    Try it and do let me know your feedback by commenting below!

       Ragi or Finger Millet is a whole grain that is gluten-free and a staple in South India. It is rich in fiber that helps with weight loss and diabetes. It's packed with calcium, good carbs, ammino acids and Vitamin D.

      And, sorry about the length of this read guys I guess I'm a little over excited.. But since it's my first post...I think Itna toh banta hai
Bye.

11 comments:

  1. Waoo seems yummy...will definitely try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! My fav recipe for summers. N superb write up... waiting for more content on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely one of my favorites in summer! Very well written, would love to see more on your blog 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. yassss....!
    more power to you. was waiting for recepies from you for so long.. grow grow grow ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!😄 I think I know who it is but I'm still kinda wondering!😃

      Delete
  5. I always look out for Blog's on Nutrition. When it comes from a Yoga expert it is holistic. The mention of mother's recipe by blogger is revisiting nutritional supremacy of (Mom's Kitchen) losing sight in this era of packaging. Keep enlightening us with your valuable insights . Kudos to blogger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recipe dear...thanks for sharing😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice ..keep posting. I m following ����

    ReplyDelete